You dine in a restaurant, have a good meal, then it’s time to go. You ask for the bill… you skim the bill for anything missing or extra… you see the word “Service Charge” added to the bill and you assume that it’s part of the bill so you pay for it.
I have heard many times that Service Charge was optional. Than you may choose not to pay it, but i am still skeptical. If i had a choice not to pay it why does it come already included in the final amount? That gives off an air of finality right?
Now if you choose to pay the service charge without question, which i usually do, whether it’s here or abroad, are you expected to leave a 10-15% tip as well?! We always disagree on the matter, some of my dinner companions would say we already paid them service charge and that counts as a tip. Others, including me, think that service charge is something set by the restaurant for dining in, you must pay it anyways, and has nothing to do with tipping the waiter…
I am not sure which scenario is the correct one. I am not sure i am supposed to pay a 15% serivce charge plus 15% tip on a meal out either… why the extra 30% y3ni?!
What do you usually do?!